Friday, August 12, 2022

Overcoming fears and riding the BAR skateboard ramp at 62! The last World Skate Games qualifier to compete in Argentina 2022

The Slalom Supreme in Salem
the BAR (
Bad Ass Ramp) 10'




Location: Bush’s Pasture Park, Salem, OR
Dates: July 23 & 24th, 2022
 

After a full day of racing on Saturday it was time to commit to the BAR (Bad Ass Ramp) I had done 7ft ramps before. One in Texas and one in Nevada City. The BAR in Texas was super scary because it was 3 feet wide, wobbly and leaned forward on the hill. You had to climb a ladder to get to the top and when you stood and looked down you could only see the curve of the ramp and then the pavement. It took coaching from Jonny Miller who said you got this. 
Because I ride vert and had practiced in Scotts Valley dropping into twinkie bowl as some of us call it. It goes over vert when you drop in and has the same feeling as the big ramp. It was scary but I did it.

So back to Oregon. I purposely didn't go to the top of the ramp with my skateboard in my hand the day before. I stood up there when it wasn't done and imagined myself going down the ramp. 
Sunday morning I watched Paul Howard go to the top 3 times with his board and walk back down the ramp. He's ridden it twice before when they set it up. He rides this hill more often than probably anyone. I thought to myself if he doesn't go down that ramp I'll probably never do it either.
My heart pounded everytime I imagined myself up on top looking to go down. I was sitting in my chair sweating just watching everyone go down.

Giant Slalom Final Results


How we read the times at the race. They only went to 10th place and so I wasn't sure when I left where I was in placings. It was great to see the final results posted. I placed 12th against men and women racers. I don't always run the GS races because they are fast and I'm more of a technical racer than a all out hill bomber. 

Saturday morning on the hill. It was cold and damp from the fog but that changed pretty quickly as it was supposed to be hot. 
Hybrid Slalom Final Results




Hybrid against Patrick Lehrmann


Saturday afternoon I got 4th and skated until after 7:00 pm. It was hot and I was racing really well considering how many runs I had put in and was still trying to podium. I was happy with the end results because I was close and raced well all day.
 
Tight Slalom Final Results



Tight Slalom race with Paul Howard. Check out the gimme got you!
I placed 4th this is when you don't give up and ride to the end.






One World Championship qualifier slot each 
Judi Oyama designed the poster and medal art.

Thank you Michael Dong for the spread sheets.
Thank you everyone for putting on the event.
Thank you John Stryker for designing and making the ramp.
Skip, Levi, Mark Harris for working on it too.


 

No comments: