Friday, November 18, 2022

A few more images from the World Skate Games Straight Parallel Slalom in Argentina 2022


This is Saturday's 68 cone Straight Parallel Slalom at the World Skate Games 2022 in Argentina on the San Juan Villicum Race Track in Argentina.
Collin Kruse is doing a iPhone follow below is the video he took. He's really good at it and a great all around skateboarder. These photos are by Monique Soderhall, Jani's wife who was kind enough to shoot in the heat. This was the most organized race I have ever been too. They had cold water and drinks at the top and the bottom of the hill. They provided snacks and lunch. We had full live coverage and on site camera crew at both the race track and the giant slalom hill.

If you go I recommend buying the package hotel deal with Worlds. We had 3 great assistants at the Don Thomas Hotel. Had breakfast home baked pastries, fresh fruit and made us scrambled eggs, we got a boxed lunch to take to the race and an amazing dinner each day. This came with transport to the races and back and to and from the airport. It was easier than renting a car and trying to figure out monies and places to go.





After two runs I was beat by 0.211 seconds. 
I lost focus on the bottom of one of the runs and almost DQ'd.
I hit 5 cones but got back on course. I was running clean most of my other races. The second run was close but since I hit cones so I didn't move forward and Suzuka did. It's cool to see the next generation of slalom racers coming into the fold. 



I was stoked to meet and race 17 year old ripper Japanese Skateboarder Suzuka Nakanishi.



Here is a new Youtube link to the finish on our tight race.
She got me on the line and my first run I hit cones because I lost my focus. 
Suzuka advanced to the round of 4. I did beat her on the other three races. Shit happens. She's the future of slalom. 

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxBZOWBaju8s84QNTHnGntbnErD-uerXo1

Straight Slalom World Champions 2022

Women:

1st: Anna Gailite (LAT)
2nd: Lynn Kramer (USA)
3rd: Eliza Gailite (LAT)
4th: Suzuka Nakanishi (JAP)
5th: Judi Oyama (USA)


Men:

1st: Janis Kuzmins (LAT)
2nd: Gustavs Gailitis (LAT)
3rd: Toms Dreiblats (LAT)
4th: Bruno Oliveira (BRA)
5th: Jakub Jirman (CZE)



This was such a fun race. I know not everyone likes tight straight but it is something that takes focus and skill that I think helps with overall fitness. Video shot by Collin Kruse. Thank you.


Here is another one of the races against Imi McMillan (AUS).
https://www.instagram.com/p/CkdVN3Ut7Qb/




 

No comments: