Friday, October 9, 2020

Girlhood (It's Complicated) Virtual Opening Female Skateboard Pioneers and BFF's




Here is a little back story to this event. Jane and Beth collected my Flyaway helmet and trophy. They have come out and personally interviewed us for more background on women in skateboarding, our herstory and what the items we donated meant to us and when and how were they used or won. Won in my case was because I gave them one of my first place trophies from the Berkeley Skate Contest years ago. 

 

Back story on the black flyaway helmet. That was Rebecca Botelho she did the custom pin striping. I was going to have her do one for me and instead we did a helmet trade and I gave her a new flyaway helmet and she gave me the black one. She still skates and is awesome. We skated together a few years ago when my husband had a cyclocross race down in Los Osos area. She is helping get a skatepark built in Cambria. www.skatecambria.com


I was super honored to be apart of this virtual opening yesterday. I put together my video and self-interview. I was going to hand it off to Daniel Carettoni of Santa Cruz Aerials so he could smooth it out. I didn't have a ton of time so I didn't redo my interview areas. When you get behind the camera or iPhone you don't always say exactly what you planned to say. I wanted to redo some of the slow bumpy talking. 


                                                    


1:13 Shows are skate pieces at the show

https://youtu.be/GVYesfMeMOc?t=2611 


                                                            


45:19 Cindy Whitehead

https://youtu.be/GVYesfMeMOc?t=2723 I am right after you. I am sending this to my friend Frances and thought I would share the links of where we want to watch from.


                                                            


47:35 My section

https://youtu.be/GVYesfMeMOc?t=2854



At the end of my video I put photo and video credits. Thank you to my friends that have been kind enough to take a photo or shoot with my camera when I ask them. If not for my dad who took most of my photos my story would not have been documented.


Credits:

Daniel Carettoni

Bill Golding

Richard Oyama

Gary Mederious

Michael Smiley Goldman

John Krisik

Dan Devine

John Ravtich

Michael Chantry

Ian Logan

Daniel A. Anderson

Gary Holl

Steven King

Randy Katin

Brad T. Miller

Jonny Miller

Maria Carrasco

Mary MacDonald

sorry if I missed anyone 



Day 9 of no sugar, no grains, no dairy, no alcohol  no fun. I am doing it until October 22. 21 days to exact.


The history of girlhood is not what people think; it is complicated. Young women are often told that girls are “made of sugar and spice and everything nice.” What we learn from the past is that girls are made of stronger stuff. They changed history. From Helen Keller to Naomi Wadler, girls have spoken up, challenged expectations, and been on the front lines of social change. Although definitions of girlhood have changed, what it means to grow up female in the United States has always been part of the American conversation. More details at girlhoodlive.com


I got a little love Smithsonian spotlight

https://www.si.edu/newsdesk/snapshot/shredding-judi-oyama


No comments: