Friday, February 18, 2022

Skateboarding Longevity and Determination Flashback Issue 1 of Thrasher Magazine

Today, I saw a post about the 500th issue of Thrasher Magazine on Instagram. I looked back at the first issue on Thrasher's website and noticed it had an article about Downhill Skateboard Racing and the Gold Cup Series that I had skated in. (I still have my first copy.)





Spread from the first issue of Thrasher Magazine flashback. 

A look back and realization that not being the top women's team rider changed me and probably helped me in the long run. At the Capitola Classic and I was ahead of all of the women even with a crash and sliding 25 feet down the double yellow in short shorts and hitting my head. 

After John Hutson won on a set of special Park Rider wheels that were super tall and fast, Jay put the winning wheels on Terry Brown's board and she beat me at the finish line. Winning is winning but I ended up with more photos and press because I raced my heart out. I wasn't the big name I ended up not getting the special wheels and placing second. In the long run it made me fight harder and continue to skate decades later. 

(For anyone that wonders why I stopped competing in vert it was the Winchester contest judges that made me stop competing in scored contests and just do timed events and that's another story. Because I get asked alot but don't usually tell why)



Decades later Terry told me she never considered that she won that race. It was good to hear but I will always remember feeling like the second pro rider for Santa Cruz and not as important. I was still honored and proud to be sponsored Santa Cruz Skateboards and Independent Trucks.

 Competition is competition it is cut throat and not everyone likes competing. You can have a career as a free rider in some sports like Surfing legend Santa Cruz surfer Josh Mulcoy and freeskier Cody Townsend. Skateboarding not so much.



Capitola Classic Downhill in Action Now with Michele Baker. Photo: James Cassimus


Capitola Classic shot by Dan Devine took that is in the Smithsonian Collection

If you had told me I'd still be skateboarding and racing in 2022 I would probably think you were cray cray. I remember another competitor asking me what it would be like skating in 20 years? I told her I probably won't be skating that was 18 years ago. 

This weekend I will be racing in Southern California my first head to head race since Morro Bay Classic 2019


Video by Gary Fluitt and crew







 

No comments: