Sunday, January 9, 2022

Skate Collector my side hustle and life long passion

For those that don't know me and wonder how a female is selling vintage skateboard items in a mostly male dominated past time. I thought I would give a little skateherstory.

I have been collecting skateboard items since I started skateboarding in 1973. I worked at NHS in the early days stuffing bearings into Road Rider 2's, shipping the first Indy trucks and silk screening Santa Cruz Skateboard decks, when NHS was located where the Santa Cruz Boardroom is now. I was one of the first sponsored female skateboarders who rode for Santa Cruz Skateboards and Independent Trucks. I still skate decades later and keep in touch with many of the skate friends I have had forever. One of the best reasons to keep skating is to hang out with friends and skate. 

I am super stoked because my Skate Collector site slowly but surely starting work. I use to sell my boards and items on eBay but I don't like how complicated they make it and they have enough money. I have tons of skate stuff and will eventually start putting more stuff up. My kids aren't interested in my old skate stuff. I'm want to share and sell stuff so I can use the money for things like a new computer and get more weight lifting gear for my backyard home gym. Yeah, as my son Ryan would say "TMI mom". For those that are interested this is my blog and I can say whatever I want.



Soon to be added on my Skate Collector website or on Instagram Skateboard Sticker Collector Screaming Hand golf balls and Ames posters.



I was one of the first Japanese female vertical and downhill skateboarders in skate herstory (female skateboard pioneer). I was probably the least photographed female skater when I was in my prime BITD and was fortunate to have a professional photographer father who would take me to skateboard parks or I would bring my own camera and ask friends to shoot thankfully Goldman shot my favorite Winchester session so there is actual proof I skated. I wish someone had footage of me doing backside full axle carve grinds during the Winchester Open. The men got coverage the women didn't.





Winchester Skatepark 1978 photo John Krisik




Winchester Skatepark 1979 photo Mike Smiley Goldman




Page from the Independent Built to Grind book Capitola Classic 1980 photo: Reg Caselli

Skating makes me happy. I have been selling some of my duplicate skate items and some items from a long time retired NHS employee who collected hard to find short run items. I sold the last pair of NOS Road Rider 6's that were from a found box of wheels that went up on the NHS museum wall. (Temporarily closed probably due to the Covid spike) It is free to tour you just need to make an appointment.




No comments: