Saturday, February 13, 2010

Santa Cruz Surf Shop Surfboard Geo Icon Logo




Geo Santa Cruz Logo was inspired via the McDonalds arches effect. In most of the action sports photos you could never read the Santa Cruz horizontal logos. I designed this logo which was on all of the surfboards. Richard Schmidt was the main pro rider for the surf shop along with Pat Taylor, Harbor Bill, Homer, Ruffo, Keith Meek and a host of others. Richy got this great spread in Break Out Magazine and a cover on Camp Beverly Hills which really showed how the Geo worked to call out Santa Cruz without seeing the small type.

I've been digging through some surf artifacts for the Surf City Santa Cruz: A Wave of Inspiration show that starts March 27 - July 25, 2010 at the MAH on Front Street.
In posting this tonight I realized I am lucky to have a unique woman owned and operated action sports graphic design business and don't know of any other female graphic designers that have worked in this tightly niche community for as long as I have. I want to thank Russell Leong my graphic design instructor at SJSU and Richard Novak, Brenda Scott Rogers, Mark Miller, Bob Hurley, Joel Gomez and Francois C from Billabong who trusted my instincts and gave me some of my first projects from Look Snowboards, Santa Cruz Skateboards, NHS, Hotline Wetsuits, Sessions, Billabong, Instinct, Country Leathers, Reef and many other brands some still here and some gone.



Richard Schmidt has Richard Schmidt Surfing School in Santa Cruz
Photo by Dan Merkel


Photo by Dan Merkel

I will be lending the Santa Cruz Crew poster for the show. I am hoping to get the crew together for a photo shoot.

No comments: