Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day and what it means to our family goes deep


Today is Veterans Day. My kids are out of school, for them it means a day to play. I want them to know what the day really represents and why they are out of school. They never experienced life any different. My parents and grandparents did. Though they never talk about it and ever made us feel guilty for having wonderful childhood memories. My Uncle Yukio and Molly Sumida helped produce a Documentary Film Beyond Barbed Wire which talks about the camps and war. Watching this at the Pacific Film Festival when it came out with my dad was eye opening as I had only seen him cry once in his life at his mom's furneral. That was the second time I saw tears. This movie got my family and others to share their stories.

Celebrating the extraordinary human sacrifice and courage of Japanese-American soldiers in WW II, Beyond Barbed Wire tells the stories of the U.S. Army's 100th Infantry Battalion and the 442nd Regiment. These units absorbed the highest casualties and became the most decorated units in WW II. While they fought, their families lived behind barbed wire in American internment camps. Proud veterans break their long silence with moving tales of heroism and prejudice.

Filmmakers: Terri DeBono and Steve Rosen | USA | 1997 | 88 min | Documentary | Colour | 35mm

My friends parents Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston and James D. Houston wrote the book Farewell to Manzanar that became a movie and tells how life was in the camps as well.

This is an interesting site my husband came across that has stories of the men that would sneak out and fish at camp Manzanar.
This site is called. Fear No Trout

Welcome to my site. I am compiling information for an exciting project documenting the history of Manzanar internees who snuck out of the Internment camp under the noses of armed military guards to go trout fishing. I want to tell the story of the Japanese American internees -- imprisoned as "enemy aliens" during World War II as a result of Executive Order 9066 (even though they were American citizens) – who sought to experience a feeling of freedom, however brief, as they matched wits with the wily trout of the famed Eastern Sierra fishing grounds.


Densho is a Japanese term meaning "to pass on to the next generation," or to leave a legacy.

No comments: